Dr. Steven Abel
- Dr. Steven Abel
- Mount Kisco, New York, United States
- Cosmetic smile makeovers, Invisalign, laser, Implants, Lumineers, Snap on Smiles, DaVinci & Mac Veneers, Cerec, periodontal, headache/TMJ therapy, facial pain, snoring/sleep apnea, high speed braces, sedation. He practices an aggressive approach toward treating chronic gum diseases known to be linked with heart disease, diabetes, and other medical problems. He is known as the "doctor's dentist" because so many physicians choose him as their dentist, seeking his expertise in treating both themselves and their families. Member of the NY, CT and American Dental Associations, the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, the Academy of General Dentistry, & the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine. Dr. Abel has become known in Westchester as the leading cosmetic dentist for people who want to have a radiant smile, look younger & feel better about their teeth. With sedation dentistry, even patients who are very fearful can enjoy a great smile, having years of neglect taken care of, often in one visit while they sleep comfortably. For More Information: www.WestchesterTopDentist.com 103 South Bedford Road Mount Kisco, NY 10549 (914) 241-2242 DrAbelsOffice@aol.com
Friday, March 22, 2013
Five Simple Tips for a Healthy Mouth
Mount Kisco, NY (March 22, 2013) — Mount Kisco NY dentist Dr. Steven Abel offers five simple tips that he recommends that adults do each day to keep oral hygiene in top shape.
Use an Electric Toothbrush
At more than 30,000 strokes per minute compared to the average of 100 strokes per minute with a manual toothbrush, electric toothbrushes work harder by pushing fluid between teeth and around the gum line, which provides a more effective cleaning.
Regardless of whether or not you have cavities, using an electric toothbrush over time prevents gum inflammation, gingivitis and periodontal disease.”
Floss at Night
The CDC reports that nearly 65 million Americans—one out every two adults ages 30 and older—have gum disease. Therefore, flossing once a day is crucial to avoid plaque and tartar, a hard mineral deposit that can cause gums to become swollen and inflamed, leading to gingivitis, the earliest stage of gum disease.
My recommendation is to floss at night, says Dr. Abel. “During sleep cycles, less saliva is produced to naturally clean teeth and gums, so oral bacteria are free to do more damage. Therefore, it’s important to brush, floss and scrape your tongue every night to get rid of bacteria and go to bed with your mouth as clean as possible.”
Select the Right Toothpaste
Dr. Abel cautions his patients to be skeptical of any toothpaste that promises to "whiten" teeth. The reality is that removal of surface stains by a toothpaste will make the tooth "look" lighter, but not change its inherent color. To lighten or "bleach" teeth, schedule a professional in-office whitening treatment. This will remove stains and dark color from the internal aspect of the tooth, not just the external aspect as a toothpaste does.
Don’t Forget Mouthwash
Listerine Mouthwash is a good over the counter mouthwash that kills bacteria that is associated with gum disease. It’s even available in an alcohol free version now!
Eat Foods Good for Healthy Teeth
Research studies show that certain foods naturally cleanse your teeth while you eat them. The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry suggests that you incorporate these key ingredients into your diet:
• Fruits like strawberries and pineapple are high in fiber and vitamin C. The citric acid in pineapple also provides an all-natural bacteria-fighting mouthwash.
• Veggies like Kale and broccoli are high in minerals that strengthen tooth structure and prevent enamel erosion (or yellowing).
• Onions and Wasabi –a type of Japanese horse radish both contain compounds that reduce oral bacteria.
Quinoa has minerals including Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphorus to strengthen teeth.
Be sure to implement these five tips for a healthier mouth! If you have any questions about your dental health, or would like a complimentary consultation, be sure to give our office a call at: (914) 241-2242 or visit us at: www.WestchesterTopDentist.com
We are committed to your dental and overall health.